Monday, April 23, 2012

Memory Mondays - LJN WWF Wrestling Superstars

Any one remember these?


HOLY CRAP!! I nearly s*@# myself when I saw this back in 1987.  I would sing that song in my head all day and couldn't wait to get to the store to see if there were any new figures I could get.

I was a HUGE WWF Wrestling fan in the 80's. I bought all the toys and magazines, went to the live shows when they came to town, my best friend and I would have Main Events where we would right all the wrongs that happened earlier that morning on the weekly wrestling show, we would customize their paint jobs, it was awesome. I think you loved it or hated it, and I loved it.
I'm pretty sure this is what got me into obsessive toy collecting. Yes I'm a huge Star Wars fan and that is still the main focus of my collecting, and I loved ET. Both of those came around before WWF for me, but it was these poorly sculpted, paint peeling, solid rubber figures that pushed me over the edge. I would constantly ask to go to the store or calling stores to check, I would make my parents drive me across other cities while on a vacation just to check the toys stores. And it was a given that if I found a figure I did not have I would get it, I knew, my parents knew, there was no begging or empty promises of doing chores by me, no, my parents somehow knew I was obsessed with this and just bought them all. I was pretty lucky.
Now I am living with the result of this obsessive behavior, but why stop now. Looking through Ebay and finding a vintage star wars toy for $200 then thinking to myself "hmmm, that's pretty cheap" is now a normal event in my life. If I could only buy everything I see, that might spoil it though. Am I alone? I don't think so.

Anyway, I still have all the WWF figures from my childhood, but instead of showing pics of those I'll prove to you that I was obsessed. See Below:


Those are pictures of the posters that came with each figure. I had those plastered all over my wall. 

 

These are the cards that came with the figures. I didn't save the bubbles because they were too big but I couldn't toss out those cards (a practice I still do today, and I think my kids are following suit). Was that normal for a 10 year old? I don't know. 

As I'm writing this post I'm watching the latest episode of WWE Wresting, I don't usually watch it anymore at all, but this post made me all nostalgic for some fake fighting, its just not the same though.

Today my WWF collection sits boxed away for the most part, but I think I might have to bring it out after I get my Star Wars sorted out.

Any one else have a WWF collection? Post it on your blog and leave a comment so we can all check it out.

5 comments:

  1. I was a mild fan of WWF and i loved the WWF themed cartoon as well but i never owned any of the figures.I do remember a friend of mine having 5 or 6 of em' and me trying to make Iron Sheik bounce feet first off the floor but to no avail.They were however a handful and tons of fun to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, you had to drop the figure at just the right angle, then they would do a flip and almost land back on their feet. Ah, so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its funny how wrestling morphed into what it is now. Back then it seemed more like a live action cartoon show.

    I don't really know what it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like a wet t-shirt contest at a biker rally now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am only missing 6 figures from the LJN line now. And I am restoring the ones I have. Living in Mexico is a plus for getting little old mexican ladies to sew costumes for you. So I have Rowdy Roddy Piper´s kilt again and Elizabeth´s.

    ReplyDelete